Monday, July 20, 2009

What about the Kids

I must admit that I have become a R.S.J., for those unfamiliar that stands for Reality Show Junkie. From watching 7 complete strangers live together in one house, to trying to figure out who will he or she really pick to be with, I have watched way too many shows. For the most part, I watch them for pure entertainment, but I definitely see that Reality TV is definitely getting way out of hand.

Today, I was reading an article called "Do Reality Shows Abuse Children", and it gave something to really think about. The article leans more to the point of Child Labor laws, in particular the limits on the amount of hours that children are able to work. But if you think about it, aren't reality shows walking the fine line of exploitation of children.

Case in point, MTV's newest, 16 and Pregnant. I'm so mad at MTV for this show. This show just really bothers me on so many different levels, probably the most being how it has the potential to send out the completely wrong message to young girls. Another one that gets under my skin is that dang on Jon and Kate and all them children. This show allows for the lives, emotional moments, and the mistakes of the parents of these poor kids to be completely on display for the whole world to see, and unfortunately the kids have nothing to say about it, they aren't even protected under the same regulations that child actors for movies or "real" television shows are.

I'm not saying that the kids on reality shows are intentionally being hurt, but really how "real" can their lives be with camera's always around.....

1 comment:

  1. I really don't care for Reality shows. I feel my own life is erality enough. I don't care to exploit people lives unless it was a reason that may benefit the general population, but bragging on explicit living in front of millions is not my idea of fun or just wasted energy.

    ReplyDelete